What Can You Give Your Dog for Kennel Cough Over the Counter?
As a dog owner, it’s important to know what to do when your furry friend falls ill. Kennel cough, also known as tracheobronchitis, is a highly contagious respiratory infection that affects dogs. It’s caused by a combination of viruses and bacteria, and can cause coughing, sneezing, and even fever. While kennel cough is usually not serious, it can be uncomfortable for your dog and can lead to more serious health problems if left untreated.
If your dog has kennel cough, you may be wondering what over-the-counter (OTC) remedies you can give them to help relieve their symptoms. In this article, we’ll go over some of the most effective OTC remedies for kennel cough and what you need to know before giving them to your dog.
OTC Remedies for Kennel Cough
There are several OTC remedies that can help relieve the symptoms of kennel cough in dogs. Here are some of the most popular ones:
- Honey: Honey is a natural cough suppressant that can help soothe your dog’s throat and reduce coughing. Simply mix a small amount of honey with your dog’s food or water, or give it to them directly as a treat.
- Steam: Steam can help clear your dog’s airways and reduce coughing. Fill a bathroom with steam by running a hot shower, and let your dog sit in the bathroom for 10-15 minutes. Repeat this a few times a day to help relieve your dog’s symptoms.
- Herbs: Certain herbs, such as echinacea, licorice root, and slippery elm, have natural anti-inflammatory and cough-suppressing properties that can help relieve your dog’s symptoms. You can find these herbs in OTC supplements or add them to your dog’s food or water.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is an antioxidant that can help boost your dog’s immune system and reduce coughing. You can give your dog vitamin C supplements, or add it to their food or water. Just be sure to consult with your veterinarian first, as too much vitamin C can be toxic for dogs.
What to Know Before Giving Your Dog OTC Remedies
While OTC remedies can be effective for relieving the symptoms of kennel cough in dogs, it’s important to keep a few things in mind before giving them to your pet. Here are some things to consider:
- Consult with your veterinarian: Before giving your dog any OTC remedies, it’s important to consult with your veterinarian. They can help you determine the cause of your dog’s kennel cough and recommend the best course of treatment, including OTC remedies and any other medications they may need.
- Check for interactions: If your dog is already taking any medications, it’s important to check for any interactions with the OTC remedies you’re considering. Some remedies can interact with certain medications and cause serious side effects, so it’s best to check with your veterinarian first.
- Follow dosing instructions: When giving your dog OTC remedies, it’s important to follow the dosing instructions carefully. Giving your dog too much of a remedy can be harmful, and giving them too little may not be effective. Always follow the instructions on the label or consult with your veterinarian for guidance.
In conclusion, kennel cough is a common respiratory infection that can affect dogs. While it’s usually not serious, it can be uncomfortable for your pet. There are several OTC remedies that can help relieve the symptoms of kennel cough, including honey, steam, herbs, and vitamin C. However, it’s important to consult with your veterinarian before giving your dog any OTC remedies and to follow the dosing instructions carefully to ensure their safety and effectiveness.
If your dog is showing signs of kennel cough, don’t wait to seek treatment. The earlier you catch and treat kennel cough, the better your dog’s chances of a full and speedy recovery. With the right care and attention, your furry friend will be back to their playful, energetic self in no time!